The State of Chhattisgarh recognizes the importance of Information and Communication Technology as a key enabler in its economic development and improving the quality of life.Accordingly, the State has prepared its IT policy with a vision of establishing an information society consisting of informed, active and therefore responsible citizens – the basic tenet of a true democracy. It seeks to provide all citizens widespread and easy access to government services, in the local language effectively addressing the existing digital divide and promoting entrepreneurs.विवरण के लिए क्लिक करें
ICT Initiatives in Chhattisgarh Forest Department
Forest management is the art and science of managing forest and deciding how forests to provide the values, goods and services desired by society. In the sense of controlling, forest management is concerned with the application of a diverse array of specific operations to satisfy the goals and objectives established by decision makers. Information technology leverages decision processes such as data acquisition, representation, processing, interpretation, storage, and sharing of information. Advances in information technology including cutting edge technologies such as Geographical Information System, Remote Sensing, Geographical Positioning System, internet, etc have impacted significantly on information management in the field of natural resource at enterprise level.
State Forest Policy 2001 Guidelines: State Forest Policy 2001 enunciates the following broad guidelines for implementing information and communication technology in the state.
- Development of a comprehensive Forest Database.
- Use of Geographical Information System (GIS) and Global Positioning System (GPS) in Forest Management.
- Promotion of Electronic Governance in Forestry.
After having been curved out from the eastwhile state of Madhya Pradesh in the year November 2000, Chhattisgarh with the use of information technology along with modern tools, made it possible to create an information and communication technology (ICT) infrastructure commensurate to the goals of the forest department . Apart from this it has also taken major initiatives to establish and operationalise forest information system in the state.
Compatible with the policy guidelines the following objectives have been set for implementing the forest information system in the state :-
- To prepare a comprehensive geospatial database for accurate and speedier management of natural resources. For this, state of art technologies such as Decision Support System, Remote Sensing (RS), Geographical Information System (GIS) , Global Positioning System (GPS) and internet will be used.
- To build and enhance the information technology and communication infrastructure and technical capabilities of the forest officers in the field of geomatics and information management.
- To establish an intradepartmental network and develop a user friendly enterprise level dynamic intranet portal for seamless data communication, data mining and dissemination of information to public at large.
- To enhance the knowledge and skill level of forest officers and front line staffs.
Developing a knowledge base and a system to use the said knowledge for appropriate decision making is one of the critical objectives of Chattisgarh Forest Department. This is being achieved by resorting to application of modern technologies such as Geographical Information System (GIS), Geographical Positioning System (GPS), Remote Sensing (RS) and Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) in the field of forest management. A slew of initiatives has been taken to build a robust knowledge base and a system to use it for decision making. The main thrust is laid on developing Knowledge Base, Forest Geo-Database and promoting Electronic Governance in Forest Department.
State of ICT infrastructure
Since 2000, November, the year when Chhattisgarh was curved out from erstwhile Madhya Pradesh, the state has built ICT infrastructure for implementing the avowed objectives. The salient features of the ICT infrastructure are :
- Establishment of Center for Forest Information System at Raipur with all facilities such as :
- Geo-database development;
- Image interpretation;
- Web-based application development;
- High-end computing with 20 work-stations;
- Data center & networking capabilities.
The objective of establishing the center was to operationalise Forest Information System (FIS) for developing a comprehensive geo-database and promoting electronic governance in Forest Department. It is used at strategic, tactical and operational level in and across all administrative units. Computers and accessories: 355 PIV Computers, 242 printers , 58 scanners and 63 laptops are at work at FDHQ/ Circle/ Division/ Ranges of the state. Broadband internet connectivity: Broadband internet connectivity provided at FDHQ/Circle/Division level. Computers and accessories at PCCF Office : 85 computer/ laptops at PCCF Office with 2 MBPS internet facilities and networked to each other with LAN based application for document management system. Use of GPS : Field officers use in 1000 GPS sets. Computer Networking : All forest divisions and circle offices have been networked with the forest departments head quarter with the use of internet broadband. Computer professionals: The computer professionals are working on daily wage or contractual basis.
- Computers and accessories: 355 PIV Computers, 242 printers , 58 scanners and 63 laptops are at work at FDHQ/ Circle/Division/Ranges of the state.
- Broadband internet connectivity: Broadband internet connectivity provided at FDHQ/Circle/Division level.
- Computers and accessories at PCCF Office: 85 computer/ laptops at PCCF Office with 2 MBPS internet facilities and networked to each other with LAN based application for document management system.
- Use of GPS: Field officers use in 1000 GPS sets.
- Computer Networking: All forest divisions and circle offices have been networked with the forest departments head quarter with the use of internet broadband.
- Computer professionals: The computer professionals are working on daily wage or contractual basis.
Information System Initiatives
The following are some of the major information system initiatives in the state :
- Comprehensive Forest Geo-database Creation.
- Forest Mapping & GIS Analysis.
- Forest Management Planning (Working Plan ).
- Application Software Development.
- Density Change & Fire Incidence Monitoring.
- Networking & Communication (intranet portal & LAN based portal ).
- Training & Capacity Building in Computing , GIS and Image Interpretation.
- Web-based Forestry Database Management
Few of the major initiatives are discussed below:
Forest Geo-Database Creation :
A comprehensive forest geo-database of the state containing 72 spatial layers has been completed . This database is regularly updated and being used for forest mapping and decision analysis. The database contains the following layers/data.
Application of GIS in Working Plan Revision : GIS and WP DSS (Decision Support System) are being extensively used for working plan revision process. Every stock map revised during working plan revision is digitized and the said digitized stock map updates the state geo-database. Area estimation of coupes and forest types is also being done with the use of GIS application. Another use of GIS in Working Plan preparation is production of computerized stock and management maps. In nut shell it can be safely concluded that out GIS application, no working plan can be revised. This apart, a specialized application known as WP DSS was developed in-house in FMIS Division, Raipur and this software helps working plan officer in analyzing , reporting and documenting compartment and forest resource data. Both these application provides all necessary inputs for revising the working plan.
LAN Based Document Storage System : A LAN based document storage system has been developed to store documents in the computer electronically. The system enables us to retrieve data as and when required. The system primarily stores monthly progress reports/ information.Web based Database and Monitoring System :
Web based database pertaining to village census, forest compartment details, forest stock details, JFM data, forest block area, forest cover change, coupe treatment data have been developed and put to departmental use in our official site www.fmisonline.org . This apart, a web based monitoring system has also been developed and put on practice. It contains 119 monthly/quarterly forms which are filled at range and division levels on a regular basis.
Forest Fire Detection, Response & Assessment System : In order to control forest fire, satellite data based forest fire alert system has been developed by the department. The system finds the location of forest fire on a daily basis using GIS and near-real time MODIS satellite data. Again to prevent forest fire, a detailed forest fire risk zonation mapping has also been done, so that appropriate preventive measures can be taken at the field levels.
Forest Mapping & Map Production:
- Forest Cover Change Monitoring: Forest cover change is being monitored based on FSI data and division wise maps and reports are prepared and provided to forest divisions for necessary follow up action.
- Fresh satellite imageries such as LISS-III , LISS- IV , and PAN data are being procured from NRSC, Hyderabad and NDVI maps are prepared for those divisions where working plan revision is being undertaken.
- Map Printing : Stock Map / Management Map / Beat Map / Range Map and many such special category maps are being produced and distributed to field staffs.
Application Development : Application development is a continues process. This is required for improving the present software version and making it more relevant to the changing needs as well as developing certain application afreh. Few of the applications which were developed inhouse: WP DSS, Production DSS Protection DSS and on-line applications for database management . in areas like plantation , JFM , it is also required to develop fresh Web Based sound Decision Support System using modem technology tools like Remote Sensing (RS), Geographical Information System (GIS) and Global Positioning System (GPS) along with RDBMs tools.
Computer Networking & Communication (Intranet Programme): The objective of networking is to create such a tool that the departmental data shall be communicated from one office to another seamlessly. For this, we need broadband so that internet and intranet can be used as a tool for communication. At present all 32 forest divisions and 7 forest circles are networked with broadband services. The state has implemented State Wide Area Network. Every forest range office located in block headquarter shall be given 2 MBPS connectivity. This network shall be used for networking range level offices. A host of web servers shall be set up in FMIS division with high-end broad-band connectivity, so that all applications shall be deployed in Virtual Private Network (VPN) covering all offices of the forest department.
Training & Capacity Building: Front line staffs / officers are being regularly trained in the areas of application of computer/ GIS/ Remote Sensing / GPS and internet in forest management. IFS and SFS officers are regularly trained in GIS/GPS application in forestry. Forest rangers and other front line staffs are also being trained in modern technologies. Draftsmen are also being trained in GIS and Cartography.
Forest Offence Tracking Network and Management System (Protection DSS)
Front end of the software has been developed in Hindi, so that it will be user-friendly. All protection related data are entered at Range office and division office level. System stores and analyses data and reports are generated at various functional level for decision making. At present this system is implemented in Raipur circle on a pilot basis.
Improving the Departmental Website
The old website of the department has given a face lift with new technology called Web Content Management System (CMS). This allows department to upload official data and content as and when required. This also helps to manage the official website very efficiently.
eReceipt & Dispatch
eReceipt & Dispatch is an office management application which enables department to send letters/orders/circles/correspondences to targeted office instantly. It also rewards the digital data of the whole correspondence chain. At present, this application is implemented on a pilot basis between PCCF office and FMIS Division, Raipur.
HRD MIS allows Department and there offices to enter and maintain portfolio (Personal, Service, Training etc) of related to officers/staffs. In past, data entry work handled by CCF HRD/IT wing. Now System upgraded to enter and maintain data entry work for all concern department offices.
Production DSS allows Department Depot to maintain there work like charting challan entry, stacking, loting, auction, TP etc. At present this software implemented at Gariyaband Depot as a pilot project as well as further up-gradation/development works going on.
Time Limit Cases
Time limit cases software developed at FMIS division and implemented at Department Head Quarter.